Saturday, February 13, 2010

Comfort food

As some of you know I've been a tad sickly the past month.  I finally broke down and went to the doctor and found out I had walking pneumonia - which is an odd name since I so did not want to walk.  All I wanted to do was lay on the sofa with the dogs and watch food shows.

So as I'm laying there letting the antibiotics do their work I start having cravings for things I haven't had in a very VERY long time.  I will say the craving for Chef Boyardee ravioli was partly due to the food show I watched about canned foods and all, but the other cravings were not TV inspired.

Fish sticks.  I can't tell you the last time I had them.  But I was now craving those battered bits of fish and tater tots.  Ore Ida tater tots.  Again can't remember the last time I had them but I needed them  NOW, pronto stat!!!

Then I got to thinking about it, those are the things I loved as a kid.  They were my kiddie comfort food.  Mom use to make fish stick sandwiches with cheddar cheese and mayo and sweet pickle relish on hamburger buns.  Tater tots baked in the toaster oven until they were sizzling bits of tater goodness.

I'm sure if I could have found Franco American spaghetti I would have wanted that too.  Another childhood comfort food.   We never ate it warm, I didn't even know you were suppose to heat it up until much later.  I have fond memories of eating those thin ropes of pasta and thinking nothing of how unnatural the orange sauce was.

A trip to the grocery store and I was back with my childhood memories -somewhat.  The fish sticks were slices of halibut and not the mince that I remembered, but the tater tots were like old times.  Ok I did use malt vinegar on the fish sticks but ketchup was the dip of the day for the tots just like when I was a kid.  And like when I was a kid I would pick up a tot with my fingers and plunge it into the red pool of vinegary tomatoey goodness.

Now that I'm on the mend I have to think that maybe reliving my childhood comfort food helped as much as the antibiotics.  At least that's what I'm going to keep thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment