Saturday, November 14, 2009

Aunt Ruby's Peach Honey

Pam from my critique group suggested that I put recipes from my book in my blog.  I thought it was a pretty darn good idea so here's the first.  Aunt Ruby's Peach Honey (this is actualy my Great Aunt's recipe - Auntie Mae was a fantastic cook.  Meals at her place were always an event.  I don't remember her making this, but I do remember the family driving back to California after a Texas summer visit with parafin sealed jars filled with her fantastic strawberry fig preserves.)  So without further adieu here is the recipe and my notes are at the bottom.


Peach Honey
4 cups Ripe Fruit
2 Tbs. Vinegar

Put on stove, boil 2 minutes.  Add 4 cups sugar, cook 8 minutes longer.  Let set 24 hours.  Put in jars and seal with parafin.
(real good made with peaches)


My modifications
2 cups frozen peaches
1 tbs rice vinegar
3/4 cup sugar.

Put the lot in a pot on the stove and boil for 10 minutes keeping watch and stirring ocassionally so that nothing sticks.   The mixture will reduce about by half.   Let cool then spoon into a jar and seal the lid.  When the jar is cool, put in the fridge and let set for 24 hours.


Slather on toast or biscuits.

2 comments:

  1. Quite a difference in sugar on your recipe. Sounds great! When your book is published and you have a website instead of a blog, you will have to reprint this.

    Love the idea of driving home with the jars from your aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you can post the biscuit recipe next, but probably should not get it from Melanie. The biscuits in her book have weevils in them.

    ReplyDelete